Nursing and health care organizations offer several jobs with a well-paid salary and various other advantages. To obtain a job of a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA), you have to prepare a well-written resume. It is also important that your resume should stand out from the crowd. The resume should be prepared in such a manner that it should gain the attention of the recruiter by its first look.
The best CNA resume is the one, which is professional in tone as well as appearance. Nowadays, the recruiters are very careful in choosing the candidates and the best ones are only considered for the position of a certified nursing aide. At the end of the day, their reputation matters on how well their employees (nursing assistants) are catering to the requirements of the patients.
CNA Resume Objective
It is important that you first understand the importance and objective of a CNA resume. CNA resume objective is the primary factor to make a good impression on the employer and receive a call for an interview.
Let us have a look at some of its important points:
- The first basic thing for gaining a foot in the door of an organization is to be prepared with an impressive resume, in the absence of which even a good candidate may not gain a call for the interview
- Preparing a good resume takes lot of time, especially the objective of a resume for the position of a certified nursing assistant should look appealing and attractive, as it is the main thing that any potential employer would like to go through in order to get a fair idea about the candidate
- It should be written in such a manner that the recruiter is compelled to schedule a meeting with the candidate
- The main aim or the objective is to make the employer aware about the skills and potentials of the candidate along with their approach towards work
- A well-framed resume objective also outlines what kind of a job the candidate is looking for and in what kind of work environment
- It is very important that the objective seems thoroughly professional as well as contains no errors as far as grammar and spelling are concerned
CNA Resume Format
While searching for a job of a CNA, it is important that you have a well-drafted resume ready with you. Another important aspect is that you should have a standard CNA resume format, as it will help you in drafting a customized resume. You should also be aware about how to find the best resume format and what should be the content of your resume, because the resume creates first impression about you. Let us go through the content of a standard resume for the position of a certified nursing assistant.
Content for Resume Format
- Contact Details: It is the first segment of your resume and it carries a lot of importance because it is the only possible medium through which a recruiter can contact you for further communication. This section includes the candidate’s name, who is applying for the job, their mailing address, email id, and contact number.
- Career Objective: This segment includes the objective or aim of the candidate applying for the job. It also indicates the approach of the candidate towards their work. The candidates should also mention the name of the position they are applying for and the job code, if specified in the mail or advertisement.
- Skill Set: This is another most important section that helps the recruiter in shortlisting the candidate for the interview. It includes qualities and skills that you have achieved in your previous organizations. Do mention these skills using bulleted points. You can also categorize your skills by dividing it into several sections such as technical skills, computer skills, and other skills. Make sure that you have justified these points in an effectual manner.
- Professional Summary: This section summarizes all your professional experience details in an effective manner. It includes duration of your professional life along with the projects that you have handled. Do not lengthen this section; as you have to mention the work experience in detail in the below sections.
- Work Experience: Work experience includes your present and past experience along with the duties that you carried out. This segment should be mentioned in reverse chronological order. It includes your current designation, the name of the organization, tenure, and the roles and responsibilities that you undertook in the organization. Do not forget to mention previous work experience.
- Academic Qualifications: This segment comprises of your educational details such as your post graduation degree, graduation degree, high school diploma or any certification degree that you have obtained. It should also be mentioned in reverse chronological order. It should include the name of the course or degree, the name of the college or school, the duration of the course, the name of the organization, and the year of passing.
- Certification Details: It is important to mention the details of the certification that you possess. The certification will emphasizes your skills in an effective manner.
- Area of Interest: This segment enunciates your interest related to the work that you perform in your current organization or the work that you have earlier performed in your previous organization. Make sure that you have listed these pointers using the bullet points.
- Awards and Achievements: This part of the resume lists the awards that you have received in your current as well as previous organization. It gives an added advantage to your profile.
- References: This section may appear at the bottom of your resume, but carries utmost importance. It may help you in receiving a call for an interview from the employer. It includes the name of the referrer, designation, name of the organization, your email address, and contact number.
- Personal Details: This is the last segment of the resume and carries an overview about your personal information. It includes date of birth, social security number, citizenship, and marital status.
Resume Format for CNA
[Name of the Candidate]
[Address of Correspondence]
Career Objective: [Aim/ objective for drafting your resume]
Skill Set: [Include your strength, qualities, and skills]
Professional Summary: [Total number of years of experience along with a short summary of the projects undertaken]
[Designation of the Candidate]
[Name of the Company]
[Duties and Responsibilities]
[Name of the Degree]
[Name of the Institute and University]
[Year of Passing]
[Duration of the Course]
Area of Interest: [Mention your interests related to the work]
Achievements: [Mention the awards that you received for your excellence at work while serving the organization]
[Name of the Referral]
[Date of Birth]
[Social Security Number]
The above mentioned format of resume for CNA will help you in creating a well-defined resume for the particular position.
CNA Resume Sample
Name: Meredith Sheppard
Address: 14 E. Ninth Street, Brooklyn, NY 2222
Contact number: 631-119-1528
E-mail address: [email protected]
Career Objective: Seeking for the position of a certified nursing assistant in your organization where I can perform to the best of my potential and serve the patients effectively.
Professional Summary: I am a highly-skilled and talented person for the post of a certified nursing aide, as I have work experience of more than 3 years in the field of nursing and health care. I have my own method of working and solving problems in the best possible way.
Skills and Core Competences
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good knowledge of nursing domain and well-versed with nursing techniques
- Good inter-personal skills and ability to maintain a healthy relation with the team mates
Designation: Certified Nursing Assistant
Organization’s Name: ABC Heath Association, New York, USA
Duration: October 2009-till date
Duties and Responsibilities
- Note the vital signs such as temperature, pulse rate, and blood pressure
- Take samples: stool/ urine/ sputum for clinical examinations
- Prevent bed sores of bed-ridden patients and reposition the patients as well
- Note any abnormal changes in the patient’s condition and report to the registered nurse (RN)
- Assist the patients with the range of exercises as prescribed by the doctors
- Prepare admission, discharge procedures, and other patient’s documentation
- Answer the call of the patients and make sure that their problems have been sorted out immediately
- Provide mental support to the patients
- Keep the patient’s room clean in order to provide proper hygiene
- High School Diploma from St Stephens High School, New York, United States in the year 2008
- CNA certification degree from ABC Heath Association, New York, United States in the year 2009
- Awarded as the best nursing aide of the year from ABC Heath Association, New York, United States in the year 2010
Areas of Interest
Name: Maria Thomas
Designation: Registered Nurse
Organization: ABC Heath Association, New York, USA
Phone No: 987-990-8989
E-mail id: [email protected]
Date of Birth: 12 January 1988
Marital status: Married
The above resume example will help you to draft a well-defined resume for the position of a CNA. Make sure that your resume has a professional outlook.