Nursing and health care organizations offer several jobs with a well-paid salary and various other advantages. To obtain a job of a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA), you have to prepare a well-written resume. It is also important that your resume should stand out from the crowd.
The resume should be prepared in such a manner that it should gain the attention of the recruiter by its first look.
The best CNA resume is the one, which is professional in tone as well as appearance. Nowadays, the recruiters are very careful in choosing the candidates and the best ones are only considered for the position of a certified nursing aide.
At the end of the day, their reputation matters on how well their employees (nursing assistants) are catering to the requirements of the patients.
CNA Resume Objective
It is important that you first understand the importance and objective of a CNA resume. The resume objective is the primary factor to make a good impression on the employer and receive a call for an interview.
Points to be Considered While Drafting a Good Resume Cover Letter
- The resume should have a professional outlook. You need to make sure that you use professional font styles such as Arial, Times New Roman or Calibri. To highlight important details in a resume, you can make use of underline, bold, and italic. It is vital to avoid cursive or decorative fonts. A professional resume creates the right impression on the recruiter.
- Today is the era of tough competition. Therefore, you need to take efforts to stay ahead of the ever-growing competition. The recruiter hardly spends a few seconds to read a resume or they just scan all the resume using resume scanner software. If you want to ensure that your resume gets shortlisted, when scanned through such a modern tool, then you need to make use of keywords specific to your field.
- Resumes should always be readable. The recruiter should not feel stressed to go through your resume. Your contact details should be readable as the employer will need these details. You need to highlight your job duties in the previous organization to grab the employer’s attention. Use bullet points to list the job duties as it improves readability.
- Divide your resume into appropriate sections. The employer will be looking for different details such as work experience, academic details, skills, achievements, references, etc. Start the resume with contact details, followed by career objective, then mention sections such as qualities and core competencies, computer skills, educational qualifications, certifications, achievements and awards, extra-curricular awards, area of interests, and references.
- Many candidates do not understand the importance of references and just mention that references should be provided on request. The employer does not have time to request you for references and the other competent candidate may get the job. You should mention reference details of 2 to 4 referrers. The reference details are used by the employer for background verification.
- Be short and precise and provide relative and correct information
- Make use of resume keywords to create an effectual cover letter
- Personalize the cover letter and make it unique
- Just provide a glimpse of your resume by highlighting your credentials and professional summary
- Proofread the cover letter at least twice before mailing it to the recruiter and make sure that it is error-free
Let us have a look at some of its important points:
- The first basic thing for gaining a foot in the door of an organization is to be prepared with an impressive resume, in the absence of which even a good candidate may not gain a call for the interview
- Preparing a good resume takes a lot of time, especially the objective of a resume for the position of a certified nursing assistant should look appealing and attractive, as it is the main thing that any potential employer would like to go through in order to get a fair idea about the candidate
- It should be written in such a manner that the recruiter is compelled to schedule a meeting with the candidate
- The main aim or the objective is to make the employer aware of the skills and potentials of the candidate along with their approach towards work
- A well-framed resume objective also outlines what kind of a job the candidate is looking for and in what kind of work environment
- It is very important that the objective seems thoroughly professional as well as contains no errors as far as grammar and spelling are concerned
CNA Resume Format
While searching for a job of a CNA, it is important that you have a well-drafted resume ready with you. Another important aspect is that you should have a standard CNA resume format, as it will help you in drafting a customized resume.
You should also be aware of how to find the best resume format and what should be the content of your resume because the resume creates the first impression about you. Let us go through the content of a standard resume for the position of a certified nursing assistant.
Content for Resume Format
- Contact Details: It is the first segment of your resume and it carries a lot of importance because it is the only possible medium through which a recruiter can contact you for further communication. This section includes the candidate’s name, who is applying for the job, their mailing address, email id, and contact number.
- Career Objective: This segment includes the objective or aim of the candidate applying for the job. It also indicates the approach of the candidate towards their work. The candidates should also mention the name of the position they are applying for and the job code if specified in the mail or advertisement.
- CNA Resume Skill Set: This is another most important section that helps the recruiter in shortlisting the candidate for the interview. It includes the qualities and skills that you have achieved in your previous organizations. Do mention these skills using bulleted points. You can also categorize your skills by dividing it into several sections such as technical skills, computer skills, and other skills. Make sure that you have effectually justified these points. Following are some CNA job skills you can mention in your resume.
- Complete knowledge of taking and recording the vital signs of patients; be it blood pressure, temperature or pulse and respiration
- Certified cardiopulmonary restoration skills
- Good bedside manners to assist patients in changing positions, changing bed linen of occupied bed
- Good experience of ambulating patients to different departments for various checkups and complete understanding of the varied documentation required for patient transfers
- Proven track record of maintaining hygienic surrounding
- Ability to educate patients and their family members about healthcare needs
- Can assist multiple patients at the same time without mixing up their healthcare requirements
- Experience in dressing, grooming, feeding patients and providing bedpans
- Professional Summary: This section summarizes all your professional experience details in an effective manner. It includes the duration of your professional life along with the projects that you have handled. Do not lengthen this section; as you have to mention the work experience in detail in the below sections.
- Work Experience: Work experience includes your present and past experience along with the duties that you carried out. This segment should be mentioned in reverse chronological order. It includes your current designation, the name of the organization, tenure, and the roles and responsibilities that you undertook in the organization. Do not forget to mention previous work experience.
- Academic Qualifications: This segment comprises of your educational details such as your post-graduation degree, graduation degree, high school diploma or any certification degree that you have obtained. It should also be mentioned in reverse chronological order. It should include the name of the course or degree, the name of the college or school, the duration of the course, the name of the organization, and the year of passing.
- Certification Details: It is important to mention the details of the certification that you possess. The certification will effectively emphasize your skills.
- Area of Interest: This segment enunciates your interest related to the work that you perform in your current organization or the work that you have earlier performed in your previous organization. Make sure that you have listed these pointers using the bullet points.
- Awards and Achievements: This part of the resume lists the awards that you have received in your current as well as previous organization. It gives an added advantage to your profile.
- References: This section may appear at the bottom of your resume, but carries utmost importance. It may help you in receiving a call for an interview from the employer. It includes the name of the referrer, designation, name of the organization, your email address, and contact number.
- Personal Details: This is the last segment of the resume and carries an overview of your personal information. It includes the date of birth, social security number, citizenship, and marital status.
A certified nursing assistant resume cover letter is divided into 3 sections:
- Header or Introduction Section: This section includes the main objective of drafting the cover letter. It also includes the position for which you want to apply for. Also mention basic information about yourself.
- Informatory Section or Body: Start this section by mentioning your current job description along with the important job responsibilities that you undertook. Mention why you are interested in working with a particular organization. Also, mention your educational qualification, skill set, and contact information.
- Salutation or Conclusion Section: This is the concluding section of the cover letter in which you thank the recruiter for spending their precious time, for considering your resume, and mention your interest in meeting the recruiter to know about the organization and their hiring plans. Do remember to follow up within 2 weeks time.
CNA Job Description for a Resume
Everybody desires to have the best in every aspect of life. An organization is no exception to this rule as it similarly desires to have none but the best of the employees recruited in its organization to enable the maximum output possible from the people and ultimately profiting the organization in the long run.
In order to ensure that this happens every organization the time when they advertise in different types of medium, whether the electronic or the print takes extra measures to clearly lay down what exactly they are looking for from the potential nursing assistant in terms of the work.
It is extremely vital for the nursing assistant to very carefully read through the CNA job description for a resume and lay down all the important points centering around the candidate’s academic qualifications, skills and job experience based on that.
A few of the points that may be contained in the CNA job description for a resume would be-
- Help the ill person with the basic necessities of daily life, like for example, giving a bath, feeding them, and dressing them up, or at other times even helping in undressing them
- Take note of the proper input of food, or some other juices if required to be given any, as well as the output of the said patient
- Help in keeping everything around the patient in a spick and span condition, right from the dressing packs, to the healing trays, to the other supplies, to in fact the whole room
- Track changes in the condition of the patient, noting some important changes, as well as taking note of the vitals of the unwell person
- In order to send it for testing, a few important samples of blood, stool or urine might have to be collected
- Respond to the signal bells, or the signal lights, or any other form of message, or courier to assist the need of the sick person to the best of one’s potential
- Be well versed in clinical terminology and sometimes also required in administering a few medicines under expert supervision.
- Layout the meal for the ailing person, as well as collect the plates and other utensils once the meal is over.
- Prepare the patient for any test or treatment required, while at the same time, continuously being next to the ailing person. Herein, at times, it might also be required to do some small tasks like holding the instrument tray or positioning the light properly so that it helps the doctor or the LPN in checking and treating properly.
- Lay down the bed linen, checking it as regards when it requires to be changed; besides, the nursing assistant would also be expected to show the direction to the visitors and attending to them cordially
You need to draft a well-planned CNA job description for a resume so that you can get the recruiter’s attention.
The job of a CNA is not an attractive one, apparently by a mere glance over the job expectations from the nursing assistants. It is a job profile suitable for those, who would like to serve mankind and assist people to recover quickly from illnesses.
Any candidate framing out a resume for the job of a CNA in exact accordance with the job description mentioned in the advertisement for the post can well expect to get a foothold in the organization.
Anatomy of The Format
The format mentioned above of resume for CNA will help you in creating a well-defined resume for a particular position.
Free CNA Resume Samples
Let us have a look at the sample resume format, as it will provide you with a clear idea about how to prepare a resume and what are the essential elements you should include.
CNA Resume Sample – in General
For Entry Level CNA – 1
An entry-level resume sample is helpful for creating a customized resume for the aspiring candidates, who want to apply for a particular position in any of the health care organizations.
For Entry Level CNA – 2
As a fresher, you are confused about this aspect of a job search that is writing a resume. The tips provided here and the well-planned sample will prove of great help to you.
For Experienced Candidate
The above resume example will help you to draft a well-defined resume for the position of a CNA. Make sure that your resume has a professional outlook.
A resume cover letter is an overview of your resume. It highlights the essential aspects of your resume in an effective and efficient manner. A resume cover letter has to be designed in such a manner that the recruiter is being compelled to meet the candidate; thereby arranging an interview with them.
Similarly, while drafting the CNA resume cover letter, extra care should be taken to make the potential employer believe that the candidate is best suited for the job profile. A well-drafted resume for the position of a certified nursing aide will lead to an interview call by the recruiter of any reputed hospital and health care organization. If you are looking for the job of a CNA, then it is mandatory that you should be ready with a resume that should focus on your credentials.