CNA books are a vital component of the certified nursing assistant’s baggage of knowledge. Apart from the information that a student receives during the certified medical assistant courses, one also needs to explore other sources for complete exposure to a subject.
Several books offer important information regarding the nursing assistant’s job description, responsibilities, skills, or information about the certified nurse assistant final exam.
In this article, we are going to talk about many aspects of CNA Books: Why they are important? How can CNA books help you? How to find the best one? What are the best books available right now etc… So, take a coffee & keep reading 😉
Role of CNA Training Books in Exam Preparation
It proves to be extremely useful during your last day of revision for the certification exam. Going through the gist of every chapter, subtopics or the highlighted content and the question papers will help you to recollect all the important concepts.
This ultimately helps you to give appropriate answers to all the questions, no matter how tricky they may sound.
- Books provide a brief description of every medical terminology. This clears several doubts and queries that may arise in the minds of students while learning.
- They contain a summary after every chapter that provides a gist of the lesson. These summaries prove to be beneficial during the final revision for the examination.
- Every chapter is followed by an exercise that needs to be solved by the candidates. Answering these questions will help them to realize how much they have understood and the mistakes they have committed.
- They are the best source that acts as a useful tip to pass the examinations. Some books contain question paper pattern that gives an idea about the type of questions that are likely to be asked in the examination. This helps to build the confidence level of the students when they appear for the final certification exams. It also helps them to answer the tricky questions.
- Some books contain activities that have to be performed during the training. Performing such activities will help to enjoy while learning. Fun along with learning is memorable and helps the candidates to remember the things throughout their life.
- The examples illustrated in the books helps to clear many concepts and assists the students in understanding things clearly.
CNA Books – An Additional Knowledge
It is always good to know about things that can be useful to you. Having additional information about certain things is of no harm or loss to anyone.
Although these books contain everything required for a certified nursing aide, it also includes additional information about several nursing concepts.
Though these may not be useful for CNA examination but can be useful in the future as and when you aspire for career growth.
CNA Training Books for Further Career Growth
These books are not only important for excelling in the examinations but also from the career aspect.
Every candidate desiring to become a certified nursing aide has the ambition to prosper further and acquire other higher positions in the nursing field. To qualify for these higher postings, you should possess certain experience and excellent knowledge about every nursing aspect required for that designation.
If you have good nursing aide training books, then you can revise the essential things that may prove to be a base for higher certifications. This will help you to excel in the licensure examinations that you may have to appear in the future.
Thus, CNA training books act as a strong foundation for all the beginners of certified nursing assistants. It not only increases their nursing aide knowledge but also provides additional information that increases their general knowledge.
How to Choose the Best CNA Book
An accredited course program comprises of course work involving classroom learning as well as clinical skills practice. The course content is set by the national nursing authorities and contains both the aspects of nursing viz. theory and practical. The course material can be in any form such as textbooks or handouts.
The textbooks are available in a large number, but the students have to search for the best ones which would cover all the desired topics in a best-illustrated manner.
Good reference books definitely facilitate learning and help one in the best way for the exam preparation. They provide all the related concepts in nursing that can be reviewed in a short time just before the exam.
Here are a few tips for how to find CNA books –
- One must check the name of the author of the textbook, as there are many books available in the market. The author should be renowned in the field of nursing.
- The students must search for the top 10 authors’ lists or books’ lists from the facility that offers the classes for CNA.
- These recommended books should be bought, as it is a critical requirement for the examination.
- One must go through the books to find out if the content given in the book is illustrative enough or not.
- All the topics included in the course syllabus must be covered in the book. The description should be thorough and not superficial.
- The theoretical aspects of every practice in nursing should be explained in the book.
- A diagram is worth a thousand words! As this is very true in case of educational concepts, the books must include as many diagrams as possible for the explanation of the line of treatment in the health care settings, a hierarchy of the tasks of a CNA during job duties, clinical skills representation, etc.
- Even the flow charts can describe a concept easily which is rather difficult to explain through an entire paragraph.
Pictures or Photo Plates
- Pictures are the most interesting part of the books. Even while studying the nursing concepts for becoming a certified nurse aide, the use of pictures or photographic plates in the textbook proves to be very much useful for the students.
- They enable the students to visualize their clinical skills or manual tasks without going to a living health care setting.
- Sometimes, a task seems to be very easy while reading, but it is relatively complicated actually to perform it. Thus, instead of just reading, a picture or a photograph in which a nurse aide is shown to be performing the same task can prove to be useful to get an idea about how to perform it.
- In short, the students should look for a book in which such pictorial representations are available so that they can visualize whatever is being read and taught.
Important Topics and Skills
- It is always better if special guidance on the most important technical topics and clinical skills is provided within the last few chapters in the book.
- This kind of guidance helps the students to focus on major topics from the exam point of view and then implement the same skills during their professional practice.
- Summary of the chapters after completion of every lesson is also an excellent way to highlight the essential points.
Tips on Searching CNA Books
- Ask your instructor at the training institute to provide the list of books that prove to be useful to prepare for the CNA exams.
- The Internet is also a good source for gaining information.
- Ask your friends or senior nursing assistants to work in medical organizations.
- Visit the libraries at your local area or at the community college that provides you training.
- Purchase of a CNA book will provide you reference lists for other books along with the publisher and author name at the end of it and it will prove to be a great source of information.
These CNA books are not only useful during the training and certification examination, but also throughout the career. It can prove to be an excellent foundation for further studies and career growth.
CNA Books for Sale
Though you are looking for CNA books for sale, you should be careful about the quality of the study material that you are purchasing.
If they are not of good quality and do not holistically cover the important concepts then the study material is of no use and you may not be able to clear the exam successfully. The quality is determined by various factors such as:
- The authors who have compiled or written the book
- The subjects or topics covered in that book.
- The quality of pictures and the words used.
- The sentences used should be simple and be clearly understood.
- Availability of practice papers that are included in the book.
The more you solve these practice papers available in the manuals, the better will be our confidence level while appearing for the final exam.
The exam has a pattern and it is important to understand and get used to the pattern before you attempt the questions that appear in the final examination.
Practice will give you the confidence to tackle any kind of questions that may be asked in the exam. CNA courses are top-rated among individuals who aspire to make it big in the nursing and healthcare sectors.
Once you have enrolled for the training program, it is important to choose the right study material to prepare for the exam well before time as it is considered to be tough to crack.
There are many CNA books for sale over the internet as well as in book shops through which you can buy study material at cheaper prices and you will find the best of the reference material prescribed here which will help you to prepare well for the exam.
You can buy these CNA training books from the internet or the various shops in your locality. Special sales are arranged from time to time in bigger as well as medium-sized book stores where you can buy study material written by famous authors and those prescribed by your instructors or eminent professionals from the same field.
You can get them at discounted rates, which make it easy on your pockets and you can also sell these reference manuals after your exam through the same websites and book shops.
Best CNA Books Reviews
It is important to invest some time in research to pick up the best study material, which will help you clear the written test as well as the skills test.
Given below is the table that represents the prices of a few CNA books:
1. CNA Certified Nursing Assistant Exam Cram
CNA Certified Nursing Assistant Exam Cram” by Linda Whitenton and Marty Walker covers all the information that the applicant needs to know about the license exam and how to prepare for the exam. The book also contains the roles and responsibilities of the nursing assistant and the communication and interpersonal skills needed for effective practice.
The book is logically divided into topics and each chapter discusses a specific subject with all details. It has a chapter on the promotion of health and safety. It presents the role of the certified medical assistant to prevent the spread of diseases, resident care equipment for a certified nursing aide and diseases and their effect on health.
One Chapter refers to the promotion of function and health of residents, presenting the personal care skills, psychosocial care skills and restorative skills of a certified nurse.
Specialized care is discussed in another chapter of the book and refers to the physical and cardiovascular psychological problems of the patients.
Some other chapter refers to clinical skills, performance checklists and presents the necessary skills of a certified nurse assistant, i.e. measuring temperature, blood pressure and respiration and collecting specimens in addition to moving the patient, bathing, hand washing and feeding.
This book also contains approximately 150 sample test questions for the license exam. It is a book written by experts and is a perfect guide to score well in the exam; it is the book most referred to for the nurse exam. The cost of this book is USD 25.
2. Nursing Assistant/ Nurse Aide Exam
“Nursing Assistant/ Nurse Aide Exam,” offers the students information about the CNA exam, including a guide for the test with strategies and tips to prepare for the final exam. The new edition includes five practice exams based on national nurse aide program standards (NNAAP).
The five practice tests have 70 multiple-choice questions along with answers and explanations, keeping in mind the certified nurse aide certification test format.
It also offers information regarding the state’s requirements to become a certified nurse with a list of state-certified nursing assistant Registries and information about the certified nurse assistant’s duties and responsibilities along with practical skill assessment.
It even has information on the strategic approach towards the exam and physical and mental preparedness for the day of the test. The cost of this book is USD 12.
3. Mosby’s Textbooks for Nursing Assistants
Another useful book for certified nursing aides is “Mosby’s Textbooks for Nursing Assistants”. This book is considered a trusted resource and offers comprehensive coverage for a Certified Medical Assistant.
The book’s contents include the presentation of the certified nurse, the body structure and function, nutrition and fluids, preventing infection, measuring vital signs, admission and discharges procedures, mental health problems and primary emergency care or assisting with a physical examination.
The key is that this book has complete coverage of certified nurse assistant in a simple language, but that is just one feature. It has 100 plus procedures for nursing assistants, NNAAP exam skills are highlighted, and team skills of a nursing group are preached.
It talks about the age-specific nursing care distinguishing between child and old-age care, key abbreviations and terms and has chapter wise review questions.
It comes in a kit that has a companion CD consisting of videos on various nursing aide skills and a workbook that helps to learn varied skills, exercises and activities challenging you to recall what you have learned and it has a checklist of over 100 procedures in the textbook. It is a comprehensive package for your preparation for the certified nurse assistant exam. The cost of this textbook is USD 60.
4. Nursing Diagnosis Handbooks: An Evidence-Based Guide to Planning Care
This is another important book for a medical assistant written by Betty J. Ackley and Gail B. Ladwig.
This book presents how to create customized care plans with a three-step process i.e. information and assessment, diagnosis based on the assessment and plan carefully as per the desired result. It includes the diagnoses for over 1300 patient symptoms, diagnostic procedures and medical and psychiatric diagnoses.
The book is divided into three parts, the first part refers to the nursing process, nursing diagnosis and evidence-based nursing, the second part includes a guide to nursing diagnoses and the third is a guide to planning care.
The book’s prime constituents are the case studies. With such a variety of cases, this is one book that you would prefer to repeatedly not just for exam preparation, but throughout your practice life. The cost of the nursing diagnosis handbook is USD 40.
These were some of the CNA books for helping all the students who are interested in becoming a certified nurse. These books will definitely help you clear your certified nursing aide license exam and make you a certified nursing assistant.
Is it Possible to Get Free CNA Books?
You can get free CNA books from the internet, as there are many reference booklets that can be downloaded from the internet and used for the preparation of the exam. There are many certified nurse assistant study material online that can be bought at a lower price as compared to buying them directly from book shops.
You will have to ensure that the quality of the reference manuals is good enough; otherwise, there is no point in using the free books for your preparation. One thing you can rely upon is the recommendation of your instructors and other renowned professionals.
Thus, the method of online books is one of the best ways to buy study material at discounted prices.
You can find high-quality reference materials that cover the required subjects. It is important to invest some time in research to pick up the best study material that would help you to clear the written test, as well as the skills, test effectively.