CNA Online classes are gaining popularity every day because of the flexibility of time; you can join any of these classes and acquire all the skills and knowledge a nurse aide requires. Those classes are available 24/7 and you can attend them as per your schedule if you are currently working elsewhere.
Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) states that there will be a steep increase in the demand for certified nursing assistants in the coming decade.
It has been noticed that Registered Nurses (RN) carry a heavy workload and they need qualified assistants who can carry out simple healthcare tasks under their supervision and the RNs can divert their energies towards core medical responsibilities.
Online classes are helpful to those people who are currently employed and want to meet their financial commitments but still want to start a nursing career.
Additionally, the internet has become a great source for e-learning and many others chose online classes over traditional campus training.
Features of The Classes
The online classes have the same course content that the campus classes have. The subjects covered include Physiology and Anatomy, Infection Control, Communication, Resident Rights, Personal care, and Body Mechanics.
The main advantage is that unlike the on-campus programs you don’t have to devote a fixed time each day because of the 24/7 feature that online programs have.
The classes, discussions, debates, and quizzes can be accessed by a login Id and password through the computer-internet interface which is possible because of the course management system.
- As a student, you are responsible to schedule your classes and set deadlines for all the related activities
- You can interact with professional experts from all over the country and participate in online debates and discussion through web-based applications or internet chatting
- The online videos will ensure that you learn all the skills required by a nurse aide. The videos show all the skills of nursing assistants who are performed by experts, so it is as good as attending traditional classes
- In a traditional setting, the scope for getting study material is less as compared to online classes because unlimited information is accessible through the Internet
- To judge your preparation for the certification exam you will have easy access to the online practice tests
- All the requirements of the CNA program can be fulfilled online except for the obligatory clinical training hours. You will have to spare time from your busy schedule to attend these classes and gain hands-on experience in clinical skills.
Traditional classes provide for intensive clinical training as many times this training is provided on the job, however, for online classes, you will have to search for a facility that provides clinical training.
In most cases, this facility is made available by the online classes but for some programs, you may have to search for it on your own.
You will be given a letter by your online school that you are enrolled in one such program and need mandatory training; such a scenario may occur only if you have enrolled in cheap CNA classes.
If you want to enroll in online you have to be self-disciplined to attend the classes regularly and hence you must make your schedule keeping this in mind.
You cannot take forever to complete the training because there is a fixed time limit within which you have to complete it.
The time allotted is sufficient as is fixed, keeping in mind that the person enrolling in such online classes has other commitments; so if you fail to complete the classes within the stipulated time, you will be disqualified for the certification test.
Choosing The Classes
While choosing the classes you must research and select a program that is accredited by the health department of your state or is recognized by the National League for Nursing Accreditation Commission, the body responsible for authorizing nursing programs.
The course contents must fulfill all the training requirements and must be of the duration which meets the mandatory requirements of the number of hours set by your state health department.
The classes should also take care of the clinical training needs because you may find it difficult to hunt for a facility that provides such training. There are some free CNA classes online, read the terms and conditions carefully before you enroll in.
Online classes are a great option in today’s world of computers and the internet as they come with a prime feature of time flexibility and all the course requirements are available on the internet.
The main advantages of online programs are flexible time schedules and hands-off training which does not require attending any practical sessions.
This makes it easy and convenient to attend the online lectures as per one’s suitable time schedule and learn the required techniques sitting in front of one’s own computer or laptop. Online programs are beneficial for working professionals as well as students.
If you wish to work as a specialized nursing assistant then online classes offer you specialization along with the routine training; specializations will help you in drawing higher salaries.
The basic responsibilities of nurse aides will not change but with specialization, you will have additional responsibilities as you will work in settings such as Long Term Care (LTC), Pediatrics, or Psychiatry.
Some of the specializations are as follows:
- Cardiology – You will work with facilities treating patients on heart disease
- Psychiatry – You will have to work under a psychiatrist in the mental department of hospitals
- Pediatrics – Work in child care facilities
- Geriatrics – Help the elderly people
- Long Term Care – Assist patients who need a long time to cure their diseases in LTC
- The greatest disadvantage of online classes can be its non-reliability: The students should check out well for the reliability of the respective online course, for it can be deceiving
- Online courses are hands-off training, but they cannot be beneficial as in case of hands-on training: Hands-on training gives the actual clinical work experience, while hands-off training fails to give the same
- Many of the professional medical and health care institutions do not tend to consider those students who have accomplished their certified nurse aide training online, for the jobs available at their facility
- Those students who have completed certified nursing aide classes through accredited schools or facilities are always preferred over those who have completed the classes online, for placement after certified nurse assistant certification
In short, CNA online programs have a few advantages; but more disadvantages. One should decide how to take certified nurse assistant classes purely on the basis of convenience and other relevant factors.
However, there are a few queries that must be sorted out before enrolling in an online program.