In various hospitals across America, almost three million people are working as registered nurses, several others are working as licensed practical nurse (LPN) and certified nurse assistant (CNA). The hospital administration will find it difficult to manage the workforce of so many nurses. The job of a nurse manager is to manage the CNAs and other nursing staffs for the smooth functioning of the hospitals is possible. It is a skilled job and one must have leadership and management skills to be in this profession.
Duties of a Nurse Manager
You must be able to manage them with a multidisciplinary approach so that services of all health care professionals can be utilized in the best possible way. Some of the most important duties are as follows:
- Human resource management Staffing is one of the most important duties that these nurses need to perform. You must be able to prepare a recruitment and retention plan so that your hospital can hire efficient nurses and retain them for longer period of time as it will be essential for the hospital to provide good health care services in the long run. The important factor in retaining hired nurses is to take care of employee satisfaction. You will be responsible to take care of all the concerns of the nursing staff and make sure that you get solutions to their problems in a way that will be beneficial to both, the staff and your employer. You should be able to handle conflicts and should have skills of negotiation and delegation.You should keep a track of various HR policies including salaries, additional benefits, attendance and leave policies etc. You must ensure that all these policies are within the legal parameters and you should make sure that the nursing staff fully understands the policies so that they can follow all the requirements. It is essential that you must formulate the norms for promotions of the nursing staff in cooperation with the human resource department.
- Strategic management skills It is important that you must be good at strategic management skills and should be able to draft simple plans for SWOT analysis. Emergency readiness is an important aspect for any organization; more so for a health care industry. You should actively participate in the emergency readiness operations so that you can manage the nursing staff during such difficult times and the health care services don’t get adversely affected. Strategic management from the point of view of the nurses is essential, so you should prepare plans for the organization or give inputs to the team that is responsible for planning and organizing.Apart from human resource and strategic management you must interact with the financial management team to formulate salaries and benefits for the nursing staff so that the staff is satisfied and works efficiently. Here are some tips for a nurse manager to perform efficiently:
- The nursing staff will always look up to you and it is essential that you lead by example, be punctual and manage your time efficiently
- Follow work ethics and standards set by your organization. As a manager you will expect that your employees give in their 100 percent; you should do the same so that no one can complain
- Encourage team work; in any health care setting team working in cooperation with each team member will improve the services of patient care and in a team environment people will work for each other
- The most important point is to facilitate the work of nurses, so make it a point to keep things as uncomplicated as possible