If you want to become a certified nursing assistant you must acquire certain CNA test skills because you have to pass the state certification exam.
To get certified you have to pass both the papers; the theory paper and the practical paper. It is essential that you are well prepared for the exam so that you time and energy is not wasted in taking retests and you pass the exam in the first attempt.
It has often been noticed that it is the practical test that students find harder to pass and because of this many students have started taking CNA skills practice test to polish their clinical abilities and taking these tests is a time consuming task.
Students find the theory paper comparatively easier as they have all the study material available; but it is important that you don’t get too complacent about the theory portion and put in the required hours of study so that you can easily pass the paper.
Below are some CNA test skills which will ensure that you pass both the papers and get certified.
- Tips for the theory paper The theory paper consists of 70 to 100 multiple choice questions, depending upon the requirements of your specific state. The minimum passing percentage for this paper is 75%; in some states it is 80%. The time duration for the written paper is two hours within which you have to answer all the questions which is good enough for anyone. The test these days is conducted online and the company which has developed this online test is Prometric Services.To prepare for the written test you must study all the material provided by your training institute covering subjects like therapy procedures, infection control, hygiene, nutrition, medical terminology and resident rights etc. it is necessary that you study all the material as it would be provided as per the requirements of the state exam. Check online for any additional study material; ample help is available on the internet which can be very useful to you.Check the sample questions of the CNA written test as they can make a huge difference to your preparation. These are set of questions which cover all the topics required to pass the written test; you may find these sample questions on the internet or in the various study guides that are available in the market. You can also take the practice tests to prepare you for test scenario where you have to follow the obligations of time. One more step in preparation for the written paper is to study ahead of time; this will land you in good stead. The written test is indeed very easy, but preparation still is the key for your success.
- CNA skills test help Most students look for CNA skills test help as they are very nervous about this paper. The anxiousness is more because they have to perform three to five tasks in the stipulated time (usually 25 to 30 minutes) and that too in front of the state examiner. But for the record, most students do pass the CNA practical test in the first attempt; all you have to do is be well prepared with all the required tasks.
You don’t have to be afraid of the examiner because he/ she must have conducted these tests umpteen number of times and will understand your predicament, so you will surely get some leverage from the examiner during the exam.
He/ she may neglect one or two slipups from your side if you later on bring to his notice about it. The examiner will be satisfied that you aware about the procedures even if you make a mistake.
You must be calm during the exam and listen carefully to all the instructions given by the examiner before you start any task, this will avoid confusion and with clarity you will be able to exceed your expectations.
Follow all the modus operandi that was taught during the clinical training classes, follow the best procedures for each process, greet the patient and explain the task you are going to perform.
Before the exam you must follow certain path, make a plan and execute it to make the task simpler for you. Attend all the clinical skills classes and practice the tasks step by step in front of the instructor who will correct you on the spot.
Take as many CNA skills test practice as possible and that too by thinking that every test is as good as the actual test.
Two skills are almost mandatory in all the states and are asked to perform during the test; hand washing technique and taking vital signs. You should master these tasks by thorough practice and research for the other favorite tasks of you state examination body.
Practice those tests hard and time yourself on all the skills you perform as you will have limited time at hand during the practical exam and you will have to manage your time.
Passing the CNA exam requires a bit of hard work and focus and you will be able to pass the certification test comfortably. The CNA test skills are guidelines for you to follow so that you can not only pass the practical paper but also the written exam; once you get certified it will prove to be a stepping stone for a rewarding nursing career.
- Don’t panic: It is true that you have to perform all the tasks in front of a state examiner, but it is no reason to panic. He/ she is a human being; a experienced one and must have conducted such test number of times and is aware of your anxiety, so the examiner will surely be a bit lenient.
- Don’t rush: Listen to the examiner carefully before starting out. It is important that you maintain your calmness while performing any task, don’t rush just because you have limited duration to complete the task because if you rush you may miss out on the minutest details of the procedure.
- Don’t miss classes: While you are involved in the training make sure that you do not miss any clinical classes as they are the best chance to master your abilities. You can try it again and again in front of your instructor and he will clear your doubts and notify your mistakes right there. There are many online videos that you can refer to and a lot of study guides to refer to, but no practice is better than hand-on experience, so attend the classes regularly
- Follow the etiquette: While in the exam hall you must follow certain mannerism carefully; it demonstrates your professionalism. Knock the door and ask for permission before entering any room. Greet the patients and introduce yourself; explain the process before starting the task. The person in place of the patient may be a fellow student but follow all the procedure as you would do while assisting a patient. Don’t miss out on anything including the safety parameters
- Get a candidate handbook: Every state has different norms regarding the certification test so it is important that you are well aware of the rules of your state. The CNA test booklet will be helpful to you in this regards.This booklet will have all the information about the state examination, skills that come under the duties of a nurse aide, procedure and sample questions for your written exam. Follow all the guidelines in the handbook and you will fare well not just in the clinical skills test, but also in the written paper.