Every applicant who clears the CNA certification exam is issued a license which is valid for two years in most states; in some states it is valid for one year. A certified nursing assistant should keep a track of the deadlines and get the license renewed. This process of renewal of the CNA license is CNA recertification.
To get the license renewed a nursing aide has to fulfill certain obligations without which the license cannot be renewed. These recertification requirements are as follows:
- The nursing assistant has to work for a minimum of 160 hours in the 24 months; a period during which the license was valid. The working hours differ from state to state, so you must verify it with the health department of your state.
- On failing to work the stipulated hours in the supposed period, some states make it mandatory for the CNA to enroll in a training program all over again and give the certification test, while some states require just the certification test to be cleared for license renewal
- The CNA must submit a medical checkup report which notifies the health condition of the person and that the nursing aide has no transmissible disease
- The CNA must have no felony charges against him and to prove it, he has to submit a report about the same. If such a report is not submitted, then the state board verifies about it by conducting background check.
- The CNA must not be involved in any case of patient abuse in the 24 months; if any such incident is reported the license cannot be renewed
- The nursing assistant must keep the Nurse Aide Registry updated about his/ her whereabouts to enable the department ease of communication for all documentation needs
- In many states the renewal application form has a section which has to be filled by the CNA’s current employer as it saves the state’s time for background check, medical report etc. If you are currently not working you must get it filled by your last employer for the past 24 months.
The license renewal fee is not as high as the certification fee, in most states it is about the half of what you require to pay for the certification. So it is all the more essential to maintain a clean record, work the mandatory hours and keep the department updated with your contact details or you will have to re-pay for a training program and certification test.
Every Nurse Aide Registry sends a notice at least one week prior to the expiry date of your license, so you have enough time to get through the renewal process before your license expires.
Instructions for Recertification
Recertification of your CNA license is mandatory if you want to continue working as a nursing assistant. Below are some important instructions to be followed in the recertification process:
- Keep a track of the date of expiry and immediately follow up on the renewal notice sent by your state’s health department. A notice can be sent by mail or e-mail.
- Get the renewal form from the CNA registry. Most state departments have the renewal forms on their websites, all you need to do is download them and get a printout.
- You have to fill the first section where all your personal information needs to be mentioned. The second section must be filled by your current or last employer in 24 months.
- The form must be signed and dated after the employer fills the second section and the form must be mailed to the address of your respective state department
- The renewal procedure can take two weeks time; it may differ from one state to other. Most state departments have the facility to check the renewal status online.
For CNA recertification you have to fulfill all the mandatory requirements given above and follow the instructions to make for a smooth renewal and continue working as a nursing aide. For details of the rules and regulations of renewal contact the CNA registry of your state.
CNA Recertification Requirements You Should Follow
The times when we are down in the bed with an ailment, whether of a major or minor type, we naturally want to be properly cared for and nursed back to health. Deep inside, every person wants to be independent in doing their own chores rather than relying on somebody else for the same.
But then at times our health has to bear the brunt of many a trauma with the end result being that it deteriorates to such an extent that we are not even left in a position to tend for ourselves. And as much as we might hate to, it is precisely during these times when we require the help of an expert in the field of nursing, or taking care of the sick.
The certified nursing assistant or CNA’s work in this case is of utmost importance for the immense support they can lend to the patient, both in terms of mental as well as physical health. These certified nursing assistants mostly work under a licensed practical nurse, popularly referred to as a LPN, or a registered nurse (RN) and their service towards the sick person goes a long way in him or her recovering fast.
Like in any other domain of work, in order to make sure that these certified nursing assistants are eligible, and in a position to carry on with their service for the ailing, their license or certificate have to go through the process of renewal. But before applying for the recertification procedure, the CNA should ensure that all the criteria for the same have been met. A few of these CNA Recertification requirements would be-
- Ideally the time required for the process of recertification of a CNA certificate to be applied for is two years in most of the states and it has to be done before the last date of the assistant’s birth month. However there are a few differences in this from state to state, though they almost center around two years and this information can easily be collected from the state board of nursing. Crossing this required time frame might result in the person being fined with a sum of money. While at other times, the nursing assistant might require to go through the entire process of essential training as well as the educational part of it all over again if they expect to retain their CNA certificate. This might be a headache of sorts since a little extra caution on the part of the person would have made him or her avoid going through this pain. And this might also be a cause behind many a CNA dropping out of this profession completely for life. This is unfortunate considering the noble intention behind the profession, one in which the need of others is put before one’s own.
- Another CNA Recertification requirement is the duration the CNA has actually put in, in terms of being on the job in a span of the last two years. In this the case with most of the states is that they need a minimum working hours of 150-160 within the previous 24 months. Failure on the part of the nursing assistant to meet this vital criterion might make him or her go through all the above mentioned unpleasant situations. Having to go through the entire process of training all over again would also mean extra expenditure. Hence, what a nursing assistant can do is to work even if it is for part time for a period of two years and somehow make sure that the required number of hours to apply for the process of CNA Recertification has been met. A few such CNAs might just get lucky by being under a state board which does not have stringent methods for the same, and they might just do away with appearing for the test of CNA certification.
- The other important requirement for applying for the process of CNA Recertification is that there has to be a valid document proving that the nursing assistant is a citizen of the United States of America and is in a position to work in the country. The method to submit this type of a document is a necessity with almost all the state boards.
- If a nursing assistant is found guilty of a kind of serious crime and is further found not to have reported that to the state board of nursing, there is every chance that his or her name would be stricken off from the register of the board.
Once a nursing assistant is found fulfilling all these CNA Recertification requirements, he or she can go and apply for the process of recertification of the CNA certificate. All the details regarding the assistant’s personal details have to be filled in the application form, with the section to be filled by the present employer and in cases where one is not currently employed, by the previous employer.
Lastly putting in the date and the signature at the exact places marked, the application has to be mailed to the state board of nursing. All these CNA Recertification requirements are necessary to be met to make sure that the nursing assistant has been presently working and being involved in nursing- a field wherein with the passage of every single day, better and evolved technologies of healing are being introduced with the sole intention to make it easier for the nurses as well as the patients.
How to Apply for CNA Recertification
Recertification is nothing but the process of renewal of certified nursing assistant certificate obtained from the state nursing authority. The CNA certification is the process that allows the nursing assistants to get the certificate for working as a professional and state approved nursing assistant at any medical and health care facility in their own state. The procedure of renewal of certificate is necessary, because the certified nurse assistant certificate is not permanent; but a temporary one with a limited validity period. Before this specific validity period ends, one has to go through the CNA recertification process; otherwise the certificate is declared as expired or invalid. Most of the times, the validity time for certified nurse aide certificate is of 2 years. The renewal has to be completed before the last day of ones birth month.
It is awarded by the state and federal government to the students who have completed a certified nursing aide training program and passed the state approved certified nurse aide exam successfully. The certificate is the signified proof which indicates that the candidate possessing the certificate is sufficiently qualified in nursing and is now eligible to practice nursing professionally. Once the students get the certification for working as nursing assistants, they can start their nursing practice at any health care facility, nursing home or hospital in the same state. The certification requires passing in technical as well as clinical exams separately. After certification, one becomes eligible to apply further for the licensure. The certified nursing assistant license renders recognition in the nursing industry and relatively more employment opportunities for the best jobs.
For getting the certificate of a nursing assistant, one has to accomplish a CNA training program that prepares the students in all the technical and practical aspects of nursing so that they become ready to work in actual clinical environment right after the completion of the training. The certified nursing aides have to perform lots of responsible and challenging jobs during their duty and these jobs indeed require a great deal of nursing talent and skills. The state exam for certified nurse assistant serves to test these skills and talent of the students through 2 types of tests. The evaluation of this competency exam is done by the senior nurses and certified nursing assistant instructors who are at the top positions in the nursing profession. Those who get the certificate are proved to possess the nursing talent and skills; while those who do not have to reappear for the exam.
Recertification / Renewal of CNA Certificate
Getting the certified nursing aide certificate allows one to start their nursing career, but one has to remember that this certificate has to be renewed after every 2 years in order to keep it valid. If the renewal period is exceeded, then one might be penalized for the same. There are certain CNA recertification requirements:
- One has to present the proof of being a US citizen
- One has to continue nursing practice for minimum 150 hours within the period of 2 years
- One has to keep updating the relevant personal information (e.g. address) in the states nurse aide registry
- One has to complete the 24 hour (in-service) competency or evaluation program which is variable from state to state
- One has to meet the desired requirements regarding online or on-paper recertification
- One has to apply for the it well before the date of expiry approaches
Application Form and Recertification
The recertification requires a form to be filled by the candidates. This form is sent by the state authority to the candidates 2-4 months before the date of expiry of the certificate. This is why the candidates have to keep updating the changes in postal or mailing addresses on the state registry. The first section of the form is to be filled by the candidate and the second one by the current employer / the latest employer. The entire process can take as much as 2 weeks and the updated status can also be checked online.
The certification of certified nurse aide has a limited validity period which has to be subjected to renewal. This process requires a form filling and completes in almost 2 weeks. Certain requirements have to be met by the candidates so as to recertify the CNA certificate.
CNA Recertification Online
The complexity of our modern lives has made it impossible at times for taking care of our near and dear ones on our own with the result that we tend to look out for experienced people on this. That is, when we find it beyond our reach to attend to our sick family members, reasons of which might be different, we depend on the expertise of people who have been trained particularly for this job, i.e., to attend to those who need care in the process of healing.
The trained nurses aid in the healing of the sick patients by looking after their everyday needs related to health and ensure that all of them are met, and that the person is not undergoing any trouble as far as his health issues are concerned. As the requirements of every patient will be many and different, there might be times when the task of the nursing assistant might become very difficult.
However a desire to actually be of help to the ones in need will ensure that s/he can come over the monotony of the work. The persons who take training especially to look after the needs of the sick ones are called as certified nursing assistants, i.e. they have been authorized to look after people who are not well and need help from others to regain their health.
As in any other field of work, these certified nursing assistants are also required to go for the process of renewing their work certificate, and at times for the same they can take the assistance of the internet for that. CNA Recertification online has become much sought after in the modern times because of its many advantages, the basic reason being its reducing the expenditure of the person.
But the first thing these CNAs have to keep in mind before the process of applying for the renewal of their certificate is that they are supposed to fulfill certain criteria based on which they can further apply for renewal or recertification. Of these the most important is that the CNA must have worked for a minimum of 150 hours in the duration of the previous 24 months or two years. If this basic criterion has been fulfilled, the CNA can expect to apply for the method of recertification of his CNA certificate via the internet.
Once this is done all the details regarding the CNA has to be filled online in the form in the first section, after which the second section needs to be filled in by the current employer. In case the nursing assistant has not been currently working, then s/ he is required to find out the last employer from the previous two years and request him/her to fill it for them. After duly putting down one’s signature and the date in the mentioned place, the application has to be mailed to the state board of nursing and wait for almost two weeks before the process gets complete. There are options in some states to check the status of the process of renewal in the internet and know how much more time is left for the same to be over.
As in any other service, in the renewal of a CNA certificate too, the tremendous help of the internet cannot be ignored. The best part of the process of CNA Recertification online is that it helps in saving a lot of time as far as going to the state board of nursing, taking the application, and submitting is concerned since through the net a lot of guide from step to step is also available, thus ensuring that the CNA has no problems in filling out the application and submitting it. Of course a nominal convenience fee of $2.00 is charged for that. However the process of recertification of the CNA certificate through the internet is more efficient and safe with the facility of going through the process at any convenient time of the day in accordance with one’s schedule and the time taken for completion of the renewal is also comparatively less.